COMMUNITY LABOR UNITED JOB ANNOUNCEMENT—POSITION OPEN IMMEDIATELY
Job Title: Senior Organizer
Position: Full time with 3-month probationary period and 1 year commitment expected
Salary/benefits: DOE, $42,000 – $50,000 with full health benefits, union contract and retirement plan
Closing Date: This position is open until filled. Applications must be submitted by May 2, 2014.
Community Labor United (CLU) is a coalition of community and labor organizations that run joint campaigns to counteract the growing gap between rich and poor, while highlighting the connections between community issues and jobs. Our mission is to protect and promote the interests of working class communities in Greater Boston by uniting our organizations and communities around a common vision and plan of action. Through collaborative research, leadership development and organizing, CLU brings together many of the strongest community organizations and unions in Boston to drive forward policies that promote equitable and sustainable communities.
CLU has successfully organized campaigns that have resulted in access to jobs for youth of color in the painting industry, a new union for security officers in Downtown Boston, a new statewide home weatherization program for working class and communities of color with strong job standards, and a $2.5 billion investment in the state’s public transit system with new rider/worker voting seats on all regional transit authority boards. Currently, CLU’s Public Transit Public Good campaign is still working to win an affordable youth pass, senior discounted fares and a new U-pass for university and college students. In addition, we are working to address the issue of subcontracting and outsourcing by holding the real employers accountable with a unique, cross-sector, cross-industry partnership of worker centers and unions. The Senior Organizer will be responsible for a wide range of programmatic work and will report to the Executive Director.
- Develop and implement joint organizing strategies and campaign action plans.
- Build and maintain campaign committees, with particular emphasis on engagement of grassroots leaders.
- Build a base of supporters and allies for joint campaigns and provide opportunities for engagement in our work.
- Coordinate cross-training sessions between and among coalition partners.
- Strengthen engagement of coalition partners through current campaigns and other programmatic work.
- Provide opportunities for coalition partners to work in collaborative and mutually supportive ways.
- Assess and provide support for coalition partners’ organizational and campaign needs, including direct 1-on-1 work with individual organizers or other appropriate staff/leaders.
- Assess and evaluate potential joint organizing campaigns through consistent communication with coalition partners and allies.
- Assist with conducting annual Leadership Institutes, including providing logistical support and leading sessions.
- Assist with fundraising activities, including grants, activities, dues collection, events, and mailings.
- Assist in supervision of interns or consultants when appropriate.
- Minimum 3 years organizing experience
- Commitment to social justice and agreement with organizational mission and goals
- Excellent communication skills–verbal and written
- Excellent organizational skills– good attention to detail and well organized;
- Self-motivated—proven ability to work independently
- Proven Ability to work under definite timelines and deadlines
- Ability to work well with diverse groups and populations;
- Dedication and ability to work flexible hours;
- Basic knowledge of computer operations and programs
- Basic understanding of fundraising through foundations and individual donors
- Coalition building and knowledge of Massachusetts and Boston organizing scene desired
- Bilingual in English and Spanish desired
Women, People of Color and GLBQT strongly urged to apply.
Applications will only be accepted electronically. Please email a cover letter, resume, salary history and three references to Darlene Lombos at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a daytime phone number where we can contact you.